Blog Archive

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Denglish

You know how in America we have this word Spanglish- for the confusion of Spanish and English?

Well in Germany/Austria, we have Denglish. And that is a language I am most definitely fluent in. I'll start a sentence in English, throw in a few German words, and by the end of my train of thought, the language has switched over entirely. It's pretty sad- I really shouldn't be allowed to call myself a native speaker anymore. For example, while I was giving English tours, sometimes I forgot words and phrases mid-sentence. Sometimes I would accidentally just say things in German because I would get so confused (My English grammar is the worst of all)!

So I meet new people everywhere in Germany and Austria, and they all become so amazed and impressed that I've learned German in a matter of two years. 'What a talent!' they say. Little does everyone know that my English mind is slowly deteriorating! I think in German mostly now. One of my jobs in the office here in Innsbruck is to speak a lot of English with everyone, so that they get a good grip on speaking it and learning business English. 

Another thing- I'm going to Florida in 3 weeks (hello sunshine and shopping!) and I'm terrified because if I forget how to say something, it's not like I can just say it in German- no one will understand!

While I absolutely adore world languages, I can't help being embarrassed as someone who spent 16 years growing up in America and can't make sense of sentence structure anymore. Ze German mind is taking ova;)  Still, when I find I've spoken mostly English in a period of time, I start to really miss speaking German. And then vice versa.

Anyway, Innsbruck has been totally fabulous. All I can see here are possibilities- for growth, new friendships, crazy opportunities, love, whatever! There is some kind of special energy in this place. The day before yesterday we drove up to a cabin in the mountains, where a friend of mine's family has a lot of land (and a lake!). I totally embarrassed myself too- there was a really steep hill I tried to run down but being the India that I am, I tripped, fell, and slid on my face instead. I am the essence of grace.

But anyway, being up there in the sky, above the clouds reminds me of when I was eleven or twelve. I would look at the clouds on the horizon back at home and imagine that they were mountains- I pretended I lived in a much more fantastic, interesting place. And now I'm really here! It's literally everything I've ever dreamed of- farms, wide open spaces, infinite skies, horseback riding, was auch immer!

Deep inside I'm really a country girl. Can you believe it? I absolutely adore the country. I may hail from New York City (and that is truly my hometown), but every time I would visit the southern states and the west I was completely in love. When I was 15, it was my dream to buy a farm estate in England and become completely self-sufficient! Well, I have a lot of dreams, but I can see them coming true before my eyes- and that just makes me dream even more.

Innsbruck is truly special. (I'm really starting up a hype here, aren't I?)

Music for the morning: Up In the Sky by FAMP (normally I wouldn't post the same band twice in a row, but this song just fits perfectly!)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you have grown up! Well, this is hi from Aunt Shannon. I am now a fan as well!

    ReplyDelete